The deadline for EU Nationals living and working in the UK to apply for pre-settled or settled status is fast approaching. The Home Office EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) runs until 30 June 2021, and we at Citizens Advice Bury & Bolton are urging EU nationals wishing to remain in the UK to take early action and apply under the scheme.

Our dedicated team is here to help EU nationals living in Bury and Bolton to apply for pre-settled or settled status. Contact us to find out how to apply and to begin the process.

What do I need to do?

If you’re from a country in the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland; or another country and you are the family member of someone who is from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you will usually need to apply to stay in the UK. 

Under the EUSS, you can apply for pre-settled or settled status. You may also be able to apply for British citizenship, but it’s a good idea to apply for pre-settled or settled status too – it’s faster than applying for citizenship and it’s free.

We’re encouraging EU nationals to apply to stay in the UK now, because after 30 June 2021 you may be asked to prove your right to do things like get a job or use the NHS. Once you’ve got either settled or pre-settled status you will have a right to:

  • stay in the UK
  • work
  • study
  • use the NHS
  • claim benefits – including the State Pension
  • rent a home

You can find out more about applying for pre-settled or settled status here

Where can I get support to apply under EUSS?

We know it can be daunting to think about applying for pre-settled or settled status, but it is important to act early to ensure you can continue to live and work in the UK after 30 June 2021. Citizens Advice offers support from checking your eligibility for the EUSS to helping you apply. 

You can find out more about preparing to apply for pre-settled and settled status here.

How can Citizens Advice Bury & Bolton help?

Our dedicated team is working with eligible Bury and Bolton residents to support you through the application process. Data showing the number of EUSS applications submitted across Bury and Bolton suggests that there is a high number of eligible clients still to apply. You have until 30 June 2021 to apply to stay in the UK, and we encourage you to act early. Our advisers can guide you through the application process and explain the requirements to you.

Many residents applying for pre-settled or settled status also need support with things like housing and benefits. At Citizens Advice Bury & Bolton, we have dedicated teams of advisers who can support you with applying for benefits, checking eligibility for grants, resolving housing and employment issues, and any other advice needs.

Contact our team to find out more about applying for pre-settled or settled status. Call us on 0808 278 7804 or visit our website.

Please Note

Our Bolton office will be closed Monday – Wednesday for the foreseeable, we are still open on Thursdays and Fridays.

Should you require advice, you can reach our advice line service on 0808 278 7804.

Emergency contact details for local authorities in both Bury and Bolton are as follows:

Bolton –

Bury –

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Skip to content

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.